• Login
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Reel
  • World

    Trump says US scaling back joint military operations with South Korea

    Storm Lala: Hawaii braces for potential first direct hit by a hurricane in 34 years

    Dozens injured and thousands evacuated in Croatia wildfire

    Concern grows over conditions on USS Abraham Lincoln

    Members of Trump’s cabinet remained on decoy plane, after Trump’s quiet exit

    Russia releases former US Marine reported in poor health

    Trump signs order to limit childhood vaccines and split MMR shots

    Israel rejects Trump’s 15-point plan for Gaza, Netanyahu says

    Fast-moving Canada wildfire doubles in size forcing thousands to flee homes

  • Worklife
  • Travel
  • Future
  • More
    • Culture
    • Music
No Result
View All Result

Welcome to World News & Todays Top News Stories

Monday, August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Reel
  • World

    Trump says US scaling back joint military operations with South Korea

    Storm Lala: Hawaii braces for potential first direct hit by a hurricane in 34 years

    Dozens injured and thousands evacuated in Croatia wildfire

    Concern grows over conditions on USS Abraham Lincoln

    Members of Trump’s cabinet remained on decoy plane, after Trump’s quiet exit

    Russia releases former US Marine reported in poor health

    Trump signs order to limit childhood vaccines and split MMR shots

    Israel rejects Trump’s 15-point plan for Gaza, Netanyahu says

    Fast-moving Canada wildfire doubles in size forcing thousands to flee homes

  • Worklife
  • Travel
  • Future
  • More
    • Culture
    • Music
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT

Trump says US scaling back joint military operations with South Korea

August 16, 2026
in World
3 min read
0


President Donald Trump has said the US will “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea, citing his “very good relationship” with North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un.

He also noted on Truth Social that South Korea had recently declined to join the US in the “denuclearisation” of Iran.

“These exercises are not only costly, with much of these costs paid for by the United States of America (as usual!), but send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile,” Trump posted.

Seoul said the drills with the US would proceed “as scheduled”. Pyongyang has not yet commented. It comes after North Korea this month conducted ballistic missile tests banned by the United Nations.

Trump said in his social media post on Sunday that it was “too late to cancel”, as the US and South Korea were due to start their annual military exercises on Monday.

He added: “While somewhat unrelated (?), I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!'”

Last week, US and South Korean military leaders held a joint press conference announcing Ulchi Freedom Shield.

They said the 11-day event would be similar in scale to previous years, with about 18,000 South Korean soldiers participating.

During the news conference, military leaders also mentioned North Korea’s deployment of troops to aid Russia’s war against Ukraine.

US military spokesperson Ryan Donald said “our training accounts for that threat”, referring to North Korean soldiers returning from the battlefield. About 28,500 American military personnel are stationed in South Korea.

On Friday, North Korea’s foreign ministry condemned the joint military drills as “a rehearsal for an aggressive war”.

The joint exercises come days after South Korea, the US and Japan detected the second North Korean missile test in days.

Pyongyang has accelerated efforts to expand its nuclear and missile programmes since the collapse in 2019 of Kim’s high-profile diplomacy with Trump during his first term in the White House.

He became the first ever sitting US president to set foot in North Korea when he visited seven years ago.

Trump’s pointed remark about South Korea in his social media post seemed to hint at possible frustration with Seoul for declining to make direct military or logistical contributions to the US hostilities with Iran.

He has also expressed displeasure with other allies for their hesitance to get involved in the conflict, including Japan, France and the UK.

Trump’s move to downsize joint military exercises with South Korea is not without precedent.

He suspended the exercises entirely in 2018, during denuclearisation negotiations with Kim.

The exercises were again scaled back in 2020 during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Last week, South Korea’s president proposed talks with its northern neighbour on officially ending the war between the two that is technically still active since an armistice was signed in 1953.



Source link

Related posts

Storm Lala: Hawaii braces for potential first direct hit by a hurricane in 34 years

August 15, 2026

Dozens injured and thousands evacuated in Croatia wildfire

August 14, 2026
Previous Post

US Amateur golf: England’s Jack Whaley wins title and earns spot at 2027 Open, US Open and Masters

Next Post

The Papers: 'Water cheek' and 'Queen Amy's gold rush'

Next Post

The Papers: 'Water cheek' and 'Queen Amy's gold rush'

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent News

  • The Papers: 'Water cheek' and 'Queen Amy's gold rush'
  • Trump says US scaling back joint military operations with South Korea
  • US Amateur golf: England’s Jack Whaley wins title and earns spot at 2027 Open, US Open and Masters

Category

  • Business
  • Have your say
  • In Pictures
  • Politics
  • Reel
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Top News
  • World
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Reel
  • World

    Trump says US scaling back joint military operations with South Korea

    Storm Lala: Hawaii braces for potential first direct hit by a hurricane in 34 years

    Dozens injured and thousands evacuated in Croatia wildfire

    Concern grows over conditions on USS Abraham Lincoln

    Members of Trump’s cabinet remained on decoy plane, after Trump’s quiet exit

    Russia releases former US Marine reported in poor health

    Trump signs order to limit childhood vaccines and split MMR shots

    Israel rejects Trump’s 15-point plan for Gaza, Netanyahu says

    Fast-moving Canada wildfire doubles in size forcing thousands to flee homes

  • Worklife
  • Travel
  • Future
  • More

© 2023 GODJ - NEWS CORP - news.godj.com.

  • Home
  • News
  • Sport
  • Reel
  • Travel
  • WorkLife
  • Future
  • World
  • Technology
  • Login

© 2023 GODJ - NEWS CORP - news.godj.com.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Create New Account!

Fill the forms bellow to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In